What is Platform as a Service?
PaaS or Platform as a service is a development and deployment environment in the cloud that offers resources which can be used to deliver everything from simple cloud-based apps to sophisticated, cloud-enabled enterprises applications.
PaaS makes development and deployment of application as simple as purchasing resources from cloud service providers on a pay-as-you-go basis, which you can access over a secure internet connection. PaaS significantly cuts down development time because PaaS provider manages and delivers programming languages, framework, services, tools and libraries needed to create and deploy applications.
Just like IaaS, PaaS also includes servers, storage and networking, but it also includes development tools, middleware, database management software, business intelligence and more.
Why do businesses need it?
PaaS allows businesses to avoid the expense and the complexity of buying and managing their own software licenses, development tools, middleware, underlying application infrastructure or other resources. Businesses only have to manage the application and service they develop, while cloud service providers manages the rest, such as infrastructure.
Advantages of PaaS to businesses
There are array of ways in which PaaS is helping organizations. Here are three typical scenarios in which PaaS is most commonly used:
· Development framework – PaaS provides a framework on which developers can build their application or customize cloud based application. Just like how you create Excel macro, developers can build application using available built-in software components. Cloud offers standard features such as scalability, high availability and multi-tenant capability that leads to reduced amount of coding developers need to do.
· Business Intelligence and Analytics – PaaS provides tools as a service that allows organizations to analyze and mine their data. It makes it possible for business to find insight, pattern, and predict outcomes to improve forecasting, investment returns, product design decisions and other business critical decisions.
· Additional services – PaaS also provides many other services that help business enhance their workflow, security, directory and scheduling through PaaS application.
Benefits of Paas
PaaS offers many benefits to businesses that can be directly measured in terms of increase in profit, ROI and time saved. Here are some tangible benefits to businesses using PaaS:
· Complete control – You are in complete control over the deployed applications and configuration settings for the application-hosting environment.
· Security – PaaS providers follow standard security measures, including data security and backup and recovery.
· Multiple users – PaaS provisioning allows for multiple users concurrently working on same integrated application development environment.
· Extra development capabilities without hiring a new development staff – PaaS components can give your development staff new capabilities without the need to hire new staff with required skills.
· Reduced coding time – PaaS development tools helps cut down development time it takes to code new application. PaaS comes with pre-coded components built into the platform, for example, directory service, security features, workflow, search and so on.
· Multiple platforms – PaaS facilitates development options for multiple platforms such as computers, mobile devices, making it easier to develop cross-platform apps quickly and reliably.
· Affordable sophisticated tools – PaaS makes it affordable to use expensive sophisticated tools through its pay-as-you-go model. Businesses have to just pay only for what they use leading to lower cost.
· Easy management of application lifecycle – PaaS provides support for complete application life cycle ranging from building, testing, managing and periodically updating the application from within the same integrated environment.
· PaaS makes it easy for geographically distributed teams – Since development environment is hosted on cloud servers, employees from anywhere around the globe can collaborate and work together on a project.
- 238 views
- 0 Comment